Many international students dream of staying in Australia after they have completed their studies. Some may decide to take a short break by going back to their home countries for a visit whilst the majority would explore the various options which are available to them in order for them to remain in Australia lawfully. As the general visa expiry date – March 15 – is fast approaching, what are you possible next steps and visa pathways that allow you to legally remain in Australia?

Common options for Australian university graduates are as follows:

Temporary Graduate – This visa is designed for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. It provides you the work right to work in Australia after you have finished your study. However this is a temporary visa and is valid for 18 months to 4 years, depending on the highest qualification you used to apply for this visa.

General Skilled Migration (GSM) – The General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa program is for people who are not sponsored by an employer and have skills in particular occupations required in Australia. It is a points-tested system and the applicant is required to score no less than 60 points in order to be eligible for an invitation to apply for the visa. Points are awarded based on the applicant’s age, English language ability, qualification, work experience etc. State government also sponsors certain type of occupations which are in demand particularly in that state and extra points will be awarded. After receiving the invitation, the applicant can then lodge the visa application with evidence to support its points claim and assessment.

Temporary (Work) – This visa lets a skilled worker travel to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years. An Australian business may be eligible for sponsoring an overseas employee if it satisfies the training and ongoing operation of the business. The sponsored employee on the other hand, is required to satisfy the skills and English language requirement as prescribed for the nominated position.

Partner Visa – This visa allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia. The Australian spouse will be a sponsor to sponsor the applicant’s partner visa application. The applicant is required to prove the continuity and genuineness of their relationship in 4 aspects namely financial arrangement, nature of household , social context and commitment to each other.

If you have recently completed your studies and wish to remain in Australia lawfully, give us a call on +61 3 9078 6819 or email us on to discuss your visa options or visit our website on