Australia offers a diverse range of study options for international students, with more than 1,200 institutions and over 22,000 courses to choose from. You can study at all levels of education from primary and secondary school, to vocational education and training (VET), from English language courses to higher education (including universities). And regardless of what you are studying or how long you are studying for, Australia’s laws promote quality education and protection for international students.

An international student on a student visa must study with an institution and in a course that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the institution at which you study meet the high standards expected by international students. You can search for courses and institutions here on the Study in Australia website.

So no matter which type of course you want to study, how long you want to study for or where you want to study, you can be assured that in Australia you will have a high quality and rewarding study experience.

Student Visa Assessment Level

Assessment levels facilitate this process, allowing DIBP to deliver fast and efficient service to applicants while maintaining the integrity of Australia’s immigration program.

There are three assessment levels in the student visa program. They align student visa requirements to the immigration risk posed by applicants from a particular country studying in a particular education sector. Assessment level 1 represents the lowest immigration risk and assessment level 3 the highest. The higher the assessment level, the greater the evidence the applicants are required to demonstrate to support their claims for the grant of a student visa.

Financial Capability

In order to ensure that overseas students will not become a burden on the local economy, part of the visa application requirement is to demonstrate the applicant’s financial capability to support his/her living expenses in Australia. The applicant needs to show his/her financial support (either from his/her parents or any organisation) to cover the course tuition fee, and living expenses for the first few months.


In order for the Australian education providers to assess the applicant’s skills and language competency, it is necessary that they be provided with suitable evidence of English language skills. The language requirement may be exempted if the applicant is from an English-speaking country, such as United Kingdom, U.S.A. or Canada.

Academic History

An overseas student will need to have the required academic qualification for all Australian courses. If you are doing an undergraduate degree then you will need the equivalent of Australian senior secondary certificate, or Year 12. If you are here for getting a postgraduate degree then you will need an undergraduate degree.

Confirmation of Enrolment

In order to study in Australia, the applicant must have been officially enrolled in an Australian university so as to be eligible for a student visa. This means that the process of selecting a school, choosing a course, then getting accepted at the school needs to be completed before you apply for a visa. After accepting the offer the education provider will issue a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for student visa application purpose.

Student Health Cover

Overseas students are required to purchase a health cover in order to access the Australian medical care system, thus the compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). OSHC will allow overseas students to seek medical attention in Australia, if the need arises.

Genuine Temporary Entrant

Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement (GTE) ensures that only genuine applicants are granted a student visa. To be granted any student visa, applicants must satisfy us that they have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily. Applicants will be required to provide a personal statement which outlines their plans for the future, especially after the completion of their course.

If you consider coming to Australia for study purpose, give us a call on +61 3 9078 6819 or email us on to discuss your visa eligibility and school enrollment, or visit our website on