SUbclass 491

skilled-work regional visa (provisional)

What is a subclass 491 visa?

The Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional Visa (Provisional) replaced the previous Subclass 489 and is a skilled and a points-tested visa that will allow eligible skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in designated regional areas of Australia for 5 years. If requirements are met, applicants can look at permanent residency through Subclass 191.


To be eligible for the Subclass 491 Skilled Work – Regional Visa, you will need to attain points through the following conditions:

Occupation on the MLTSSL
English Language Requirement
Relevant Skills Assessement
Specialist Education

Educational Qualifications

Work Experience

Partner Skill & Qualification

Single Applicant

Australian Study Requirement

Regional Study

NAATI Accreditation

Professional Year Accreditation

Additional Points for State Nomination

application process


Skills assessment

The first step for a Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional Visa is to attain a positive skills assessment. In order to do so, we first need to identify the most suitable occupation and provide evidence for any work experience and qualification.



    Expression of interest

    After attaining a positive skills assessment,  we would need to submit an expression of interest (EOI) claiming the points that are relevant to you. The Department will then assess and issue an invitation if they have ranked you to be higher than other intending migrants.




      You can be nominated via the following streams:

      • An Australia state or territory government agency
      • Sponsored by an eligible family member residing in a designated regional area




      Once you have received a formal invitation from the Department of Immigration, you will be eligible to prepare and lodge your visa application. It is at this stage you would need to prove the points claimed in your EOI.


        how will you get permanent residency?

        To qualify for the Subclass 191 Skilled Regional Visa (Permanent), applicants must:

        have held a subclass 491 or 494 visa for at least 3 years

        have met minimum taxable income requirement

        have complied with all conditions of the subclass 491

        earnings of at least aud$53,900 (partner can be main applicant)

        where can you apply for subclass 491?

        You can be inside or outside Australia when you submit your EOI, Subclass 491 Skilled Work Regional Visa or when a decision is made on your application. There is no limitation on this.

        To be able to lodge from within Australia, you would need to hold a substantive visa or a Bridging Visa A, B or C. Once you apply from within Australia, you will receive a bridging visa that will allow you to remain in Australia during processing of your visa application.

        If your current visa is refused or cancelled however, you might not be eligible to apply for the Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa while you were in Australia. 


        Contact Us

        Don’t risk a refusal by applying for your Subclass 491 Skilled Regional Work Visa without the right advice. Find out everything you need to know before deciding your next course of action. Fill in your details and a member of the Think Visa team will contact you to understand your circumstances.