New Sponsorship Opportunities in The Northern Territory
August 26, 2016

The Australian Government is continuingly trying to attract people to live and work in our beautiful country.
In particular, the Northern Territory (NT), being a remote area within Australia, are actively seeking new initiatives to reflect just how serious they are about getting more people from within and outside Australia to live and work on the state.
The state is offering not only nominations for General Skilled Migration under visas Subclass 190 Skilled Permanent State-Nomination Visa and the Subclass 489 Provisional Regional Sponsored Skilled Visa, but also programs to offer resources and free seminars in Australian cities for permanent residents and citizens who are considering to reside to the Northern Territory and other states within Australia, whilst also assisting Northern Territory employees in particular, with sponsoring workers on the 457 Visas. 

They have created the “Territory Worker Database” as a great way for job seekers and Northern Territory employers to connect. This database allows you to register your skills so that potential employees may find you, even before you arrive to the Territory. This information brings great prospects for those who are considering Australia for General Skilled Migration.

So what are the requirements? The Northern Territory Government will consider your application if;

  • Your skilled occupation is listed on the NT’s Migration Occupation List, or
  • You have a skilled occupation that is on the CSOL (Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List) but not on the NT’s Migration Occupation List AND you are able to provide evidence that there are job prospects in the NT in your occupation, or
  • You complete a full-time course of at least 2 years of duration at Charles Darwin’s University campus in the NT, or
  • You have an occupation on the CSOL and you have family in the NT

An international candidate for a job in the Northern Territory under the DAMA agreement will still need to demonstrate they have the minimum skills and experience required for Australian occupation for which they have been nominated under the Northern Territory DAMA arrangements. These qualifications and experience will ultimately depend on the occupation nominated.

TO APPLY:  Candidates need a full time job offer from an employer in the Northern Territory

Occupations which are not listed on the CSOL but you can still be sponsored under include;

  • Child Care Worker
  • Aged or Disabled Carer
  • Dental Assistant
  • Bar Attendant (Supervisor)
  • Waiter (Supervisor)
  • Retail Supervisor
  • Hotel Service Manager
  • Office Manager
  • Retail Manager
  • Barista
  • Gaming Worker
  • Beauty Therapist
  • Tour Guide
  • Crowd Controller or Security Consultant
  • Warehouse Administrator
  • Law Clerk
  • Library Assistant
  • Motor Vehicle Parts Interpreter
  • Crane, Hoist or Lift Operator
  • Boiler
  • Engine Operator
  • Earthmoving Plant Operator
  • Excavator Operator
  • Linemarker
  • Mobile Plant Operator
  • Bus Driver
  • Delivery Driver or Truck Driver (General)
  • Storeperson
  • Scaffolder
  • Steel Fixer
  • Tyre Fitter
  • Nursing Support Worker / Nursing Assistant

If you are an international student who has not completed at least two years of study in the Northern Territory, you can still apply for state nomination but only for the subclass 489 Visa and if;

  • You have lived in the NT for at least 3 months, while also working on your occupation (six months if you finished a course at diploma level for Welfare Workers) prior to applying for nomination (see important information for applicants already residing in Australia),

International Student graduates and holders of Skilled Graduate (Subclass 485) Visas, who have studied elsewhere in Australia and have not completed at least 2 years of study at a campus of the Charles Darwin University in the Northern Territory, will generally only be considered for Subclass 489 visa sponsorship.
Some popular occupations on the Northern Territory List that are not on the SOL;

  • Accomodation and Hospitality Managers (Hostels, Pubs, etc)
  • Cafe or Restaurant Manager
  • Cooks
  • Actors
  • Arts Managers
  • Divers
  • Dieticians
  • Graphic Designers
  • Hairdressers
  • Hair Salon Managers
  • HR Adviser
  • Marketing Specialist
  • Sport coaches
  • Recreation Officers
  • Translators and Interpreters
  • Webdesigners

Flexible Requirements for 457 Sponsorship Visas.
Concessions may be available to Northern Territory employees- so long as they have been agreed between the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and the Department of Business. The concessions include access to occupations that are not normally made available under the standard Subclass 457 Visa arrangements on the CSOL.
Northern Territory employers MUST meet eligibility requirements so that they may be endorsed by the Department of Business to access this agreement called DAMA.

There are many other requirements from the Department of Immigration, from Skills Assessment Authorities and from the NT authorities as well.

If you are considering applying for a visa, or if your company is considering employing an overseas worker please give us a call on 03-90786819 or email us on support@thinkvisa.com.au

AIMS consists of a team of professional migration agents and solicitors who provide excellent assistance to people who intend to migrate to Australia or Australian residents or citizens who wish to bring their family members to visit or live in Australia.


Think Visa
Corporate Events

Australian Work Visa Webinar 2021

Australian Work Visa Webinar 2021Quality work-life balance is key in living a happy life.  Get sponsored to grow your career and life experiences in Australia!Event Details: Date: Wednesday | 14 April 2021 Time: 11:00 AM (AEST) Platform: Zoom What Will You Get From...

Australian Parent Visa Webinar 2021

Australian Parent Migration WebinarNo family member should be left behind. Reciprocate your parents’ love and care by bringing them to Australia with you. Start by knowing how to get started in this FREE webinar.  In this free webinar, our speakers will discuss the...

Australia General Skilled Migration Webinar 2020

THINK VISA'S AUSTRALIA GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION WEBINARDon't miss out on the work and living opportunities in Australia. But first, understand everything you need through our FREE webinar!Have you been looking for a change in work and living environments?...

Australia Partner Visa Webinar 2020

AUSTRALIA PARTNER MIGRATION WEBINAR Your Happily Ever After Should Not Be Difficult We value your personal goals and consider them as our own. In this webinar, you will learn all about getting a Partner Visa in the quickest and best possible way especially with the...

AIMS heads up to China in September 2015

AIMS is excited and proud to announce that it will be making its way to Shanghai, China in September this year for the 2015 Shanghai Overseas Property, Immigration , Investment Fair. There has been an increase in the number of elites and millionaires from all walks of...

You May Also Like…

Subclass 188E – Entrepreneur Stream

Subclass 188E – Entrepreneur Stream

About Subclass 188 E   The Subclass 188E is for those who have plans to carry out an entrepreneur activity (leading to commercialization of product or services in Australia). This is a temporary visa valid for up to 4 years and 3 months.     Am I Eligible?   To...

Temporary Work (International Relations) Visa – Subclass 403

Temporary Work (International Relations) Visa – Subclass 403

ABOUT SUBCLASS 403 The subclass 403 is designed for people who want to engage in specific work or activities that improve Australia’s international relations. For this visa, there are 6 streams available. AVAILABLE STREAMS Government Agreement This stream allows...

* indicates required

Success! Thank you for registering for our upcoming webinar. You should receive a confirmation email shortly.

One of our friendly agents will be in touch with you shortly!